Philips new ‘flat’ lightbulb set for sale in the USA

The internet has been buzzing over the past couple of days over the launch of a new electrical product.

But it’s not a tablet, mobile phone or the latest computer game… it’s a lightbulb.

And it doesn’t even go on sale until next month but the unique shaped bulb is causing something of a commotion on tech sites around the world.

The new Philips LED bulb looks like a conventional bulb until you turn it through 90 degrees, when its flat but the tech sites are all big fans. said: “The fully dimmable bulb fits standard A19 sockets and glows soft white (2700K). Plus, the bulb’s flat design is quite unique—providing not only illumination but also requiring, according to a Philips press release, a far smaller heatsink than other LEDs.

“Now you have to note that they will not be cheap, in comparison to standard light bulbs so it may stop some from going out and replacing all their light bulbs at once, as it can get quite expensive. You might be looking at an upwards of 30-35$ per bulb!”

The online tech giant said: “The SlimStyle looks like a light bulb that’s hit the gym. It emits light at a brightness equivalent to a 60-watt incandescent bulb, but it’s powered by an LED (light-emitting diode), meaning it consumes just 10.5 watts. It also has a rated lifetime of 22 years, so you can count the number of times you’d need to change the bulb in a human lifetime on one hand.”

And said: “Using just 10.5 watts to give off 800 lumens, the SlimStyle LED offers the usual upgrade in energy efficiency, but the true story is the shape of the thing. Unlike traditional bulbs, it’s flat, with a string of LEDs arranged into a horseshoe that arcs out from the base of the bulb. The new shape is designed to do a better job of dispersing heat than traditional LEDs, and eliminate the need for weighty aluminum heat sinks.”

The new bulb goes on sale in the USA on January 2 and while the tech sites love it, the consumer will be the judge but Philips deserves credit for running a top marketing campaign on the web so far – but the question remains: can something this shape still be called a ‘bulb’?



Leave a Reply